Introducing: Jorjamae

It’s here. Finally.

Jorjamae.

The labor of love I’ve been working on for months is finally ready.

I’ve designed a knitting pattern in honor of my mother who passed away in 2014 and I’ve named it after her. It is a shawl knit from Malabrigo Silky Merino and it is divine to wear. The fabric as knit up is soft, silky and smooth (Malabrigo is good for that!).

There are two versions of the shawl. One is knit flat in two identical halves and then stitched together to create a 17×69 shawl. The second is also knit flat but it’s only one piece, it’s 25×69.

It is now available on Ravelry (link below)! With advice from Melissa Leapman, my knitting boss, my mentor and my very dear friend, I’ve created something that makes my heart feel full again. This is for you, Georgia Mae – my mom, my best friend, my angel.

EDITED 12.3.16 6:45PM CST: Click here go to pattern in Ravelry.

img_1818

Advertisements

Comments

6 comments on “Introducing: Jorjamae”
  1. Carol says:

Lovely design for a clearly lovely woman who raised an appreciative, caring and talented daughter. Congratulations on a beautiful memory piece.

1. Cakers & Co says:

Thank you for such a heartfelt comment. I miss her so much but the purple Jorjamae shawl, in my office, reminds me of her and makes me smile. For that, I’m grateful.

2. Genelle says:

Wow. It’s gorgeous. Count me in on the KAL.

What a lovely tribute to a woman who was no doubt a lovely woman who raised an equally beautiful, talented, and devoted daughter. I have tears in my eyes right now thinking of my own mama, who I will call tomorrow to tell her how much I love her.

Genelle (genelleb on Rav)

1. Cakers & Co says:

Thank you so much, Genelle. I’m really glad you joined the KAL! I’m looking forward to getting to know you. P.S. I bet your mama loves you dearly.

3. Jacinta says:

Patty, it is absolutely beautiful. So pleased for you because I know it means so much. Your love for your Mom will be wrapped around everyone who wears it. What a beautiful tribute to you and your Mom. I love it.

1. Cakers & Co says:

Oh, thank you so much Cinta. That means so much to me coming from you.

I know she would be so thrilled that so many would enjoy it. She was just that way. Always thinking of others first.

Designing Jorjamae was good for the grieving process that I’d been ignoring because we all (and you and I) know how hard that is. And it’s easy to do something else instead and ignore the pain and not deal with it. But designing and knitting this made me deal with and put my feelings and tears right out there, and thus begin healing.

My heart is so full right now.

xoxo

What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s